About the ISSO
The mission of the International Student and Scholar Office is to provide information, services and programs that help international students and visiting scholars achieve their individual educational and personal goals and that foster an appreciation for a culturally diverse learning environment in the larger University community.
The staff of the ISSO is dedicated to helping international students and scholars meet these goals. Learn more about our staff at our directory.
To speak with an advisor and in order to properly service our growing population, international students, scholars and visitors are requested to visit the ISSO during the walk-in advising hours below. No appointment necessary.
For simple and brief questions with simple and brief answers, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 3 business days for a response and during this time frame do not submit multiple emails or phone calls.
Walk-in Advising hours:.
Monday/Friday - 10:00AM-12:00PM
Tuesday/Thursday - 2:00PM-4:00PM
OPT (Optional Practical Training) Application Review Hours*:
Thursday - 2:00PM, 2:30PM, 3:00PM, or 3:30PM
Friday - 10:00AM, 10:30AM, 11:00AM, or 11:30AM
*Note: OPT Application Review Hours are reserved for any F1 student who has submitted a request for OPT, has allowed 5 business days processing time, and who has completed the remainder of the application. This time is spent reviewing the application with an ISSO advisor. For complete information and process, please read F-1 Optional Practical Training.
Programs and Services
The ISSO provides numerous support services, programs and workshops to support the international student and scholar community:
- Orientation to the University and the Charlotte community
- Immigration advising and processing of documents
- Information and referral on issues related to academics, health, finances, housing and campus programs
- Cross-cultural Programs
- Immigration based workshops and presentations
- Coordination of Friendship & Culture Exchange Program
- Coordination of International Coffee Hour
- Coordination of Cultural Ambassador Program
- Coordination of International Student Graduate Reception
- Coordination of Visiting Scholar Reception
- Advising of the International Student Club
- Coordination of the Host Family Program
- Support to hiring departments of international students and scholars
- International tax support