Declaring a Dependent

Students or scholars in F1 or J1 visa status can apply to bring a dependent spouse or child under the age of 21 to the U.S. in F2 or J2 status.  Please fill out the information below and submit to the ISSO together with financial proof of $6,000 for a dependent spouse and $3,600 per each dependent child. An I-20 or DS-2019 will then be created for your dependent(s).   

NOTE: Dependents in F2 status are not eligible for work authorization or a social security number.  Dependents in J2 status may apply for work authorization after they have entered the U.S.  Once their work authorization has been approved, they are then eligible for a social security number.