Enrolling Children in Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Schools (CMS)
It is very important that parents be prepared with the appropriate documents to assist their children in securing admission to the local schools to continue their education. Below please find helpful information to help the parent prepare the necessary documents.
"Home School" Information
Students are assigned to a school based on their residential address (home address in Mecklenburg County). For example, each Mecklenburg County address has been assigned an elementary, middle and high school known as the “home school”. Students are automatically assigned to their home school upon enrollment. Transportation is provided to your home school. For details: www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/Pages/default.aspx
CMS International Center
Enrollments, English Language Proficiency Testing, Transcript Evaluations and much more!
CMS has an International Center specifically dedicated to address the needs of culturally or linguistically diverse students, providing them with equal access to effective participation in the educational programs offered by CMS. Please visit their home page and related links for detailed information, including contacts: International Center (www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/ci/ells/ic/Pages/default.aspx )
Documents needed to enroll
In general the admission requirements to enroll your children are:
- Birth Certificate or other Proof of Age and Legal Name (in English)
- Proof of Residency in the school district ( For Mecklenburg County: utility bill, NC Driver’s License or recent bank statement AND copy of the lease for your home address in Charlotte) www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/Pages/ProofofResidency.aspx
- Current Immunization records in English – bring these documents from your home country Please see this link for specific immunizations required: www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/csh/Documents/Requirements_for_School_Entry_%28English%292-9-15%5B1%5D.pdf. If documentation is not available or presented, parents and/or guardians have 30 calendar days to provide documentation. Most immunizations are available through local medical providers and the Mecklenburg County Board of Health: http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/HealthDepartment/ClinicServices/Pages/Immunizations.aspx
- Health Assessment (Required for new pre-k and kindergarten students by 1st day of school entry)
- Score sheet (in English) for the last academic year at your home country.
Upon arrival to Charlotte, please contact the Home School assigned to your residency’s address in Charlotte to present the list of documents listed above