Generally the individual will need a B-1 (business) or B1/B2 (business/visitor) visa. Citizens of certain countries are eligible to apply electronically for the Visa Waiver program commonly called ESTA.
What do I need to do?
- Prepare a letter of invitation which includes the pertinent information your visitor will need to apply for a visa. Click here to view sample letter.
- Click here for a list of U.S. Embassies and Consulates. Your visitor will find specific instructions for completing a visa application, making an appointment for an interview, and all other requirements on the particular consular website.
- Please make arrangements well in advance of the anticipated visit. Consulates may have long appointment wait times, especially during peak travel seasons or as a result of unforeseen circumstances.
- Complete the Export Control Certification for J-1 and B-1, B-2 etc..
How do I pay a visitor?
The United States government permits academic institutions to provide honoraria and stipends to foreign nationals who enter the U.S. in B-1 (short-term business) status. However, there are several restrictions within the law. Federal law requires that:
- the visitor is present in the U.S. in B-1 visa status
- the academic activities at UNC Charlotte must not exceed nine days
- the visitor has not accepted similar payments from more than five other U.S. institutions during the six-month period immediately preceding his/her visit to UNC Charlotte.
To set up the payment process, go to the UNC Charlotte Tax Office web page to see current contacts and download forms.
How do I get library access for my visitor?
Anyone can come into the building and use materials in the building without checking them out. The library has a set of computers for guest access where they don't need a NinerNET login. If they want to check out books then they need a Community Borrowers Card which is $100, or a Faculty Proxy card, where they check things out but a faculty member takes responsibility for the items being returned or pays to replace them if they are not returned. If they need to print, they will need to purchase a copy card and we have machines to purchase in the building.
How do I get a UNC Charlotte ID for my visitor?
Contact Human Resources (Note: Visitors in B-1 status are not eligible for UNC Charlotte ID numbers or cards).