Financial Certification Form

Financial Certification Form for F-1/J-1 International Student Admission to UNC Charlotte

The purpose of the Financial Certification Form is to help UNC Charlotte obtain complete and accurate information about the funds available to international applicants who want to study in the United States. Strict government regulations, rising educational costs and economic conditions have made verification of financial resources of international applicants essential. Institutions do not have the option of deciding whether or not to verify the financial resources of their international applicants; financial verification must be made prior to institutional issuance of form I-20 or DS-2019.

Q: When should I complete the Financial Certification Form?
A: You will receive an email with a link to the Financial Certification Form when it is time for you to complete it. You do not need to contact the ISSO office. We will contact you when it is time for you to complete the form.

Q: Why do I need to do this?
A: In fulfillment of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements, international students MUST provide evidence of sufficient funds available for their studies in the Unites States.  Additionally, most U.S. consulates or embassies require original copies of all financial documents when students apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa. 

Q: How much money do I need to demonstrate to attend school at UNC Charlotte?
A: View the estimated academic year cost of tuition, housing, food, health insurance and personal expenses at UNC Charlotte.

Q: What if I don’t have enough funds in one account but I have other sources of support?
A: On the Financial Certificate Form you will have the opportunity to upload multiple documents from more than one source in order to add up to the minimum estimate which will be reflected on the I-20 or DS-2019. (For example, a graduate assistantship or partial scholarship plus additional personal funds from a family member.)

Q: What is the difference between an I-20 and a DS-2019?
A: An I-20 is issued to an admitted student to apply for an F-1 visa at the U.S. consulate. A DS-2019 is issued to an admitted student to apply for a J-1 visitor visa at the U.S. consulate. Most of the time, J-1 visitors are sponsored either by their government or have full financial support from sources that are not family or personal funds.

Q: What kind of financial documents should I submit?
A: It could be any of the documents listed below as long as they are:

  1. Dated within the past 12 months;
  2. In English;
  3. Converted into $US (online currency conversions submitted by the student are acceptable); and
  4. Clear and readable
  • Copy of bank statement or letter
    The bank statement or bank letter must meet all of the requirements listed above as well as the financial requirements listed below. If any of the following elements are missing from your bank statement or bank letter, the I-20 or DS-2019 will not be issued.
  1. The bank statement or bank letter must be on the financial institution letterhead.
  2. The bank account types that most commonly indicate liquid assets are checking, savings, or deposit accounts.
  • UNC Charlotte Awards and Graduate Assistantships
    International students as non-U.S. citizens are not eligible for U.S. Financial Aid and most scholarships and awards. However, some graduate assistantships are available directly through the academic department or Graduate School. If a graduate assistantship, scholarship or award is granted, the granting department must submit this decision electronically, which will reflect automatically on the international student’s Financial Certificate Form. It may take some time for these updates to be reflected in the University’s database.

    If a graduate assistantship includes health insurance coverage, it is assumed to be only for the student. Separate health insurance should be provided for any accompanying spouse and/or child(ren).
  • Government funding support letter
    If your education is being sponsored by an organization, government or a business, not an individual, you must provide a letter from the organization, company or government on the organization’s letterhead. This letter must state that business funds can be used towards the student's estimated academic year cost of tuition, housing, food, health insurance and personal expenses.
  • Educational Loan Letters
    Must show an exact amount of funds available OR clarify that the sponsorship covers student’s tuition, tuition, housing, food, health insurance and personal expenses

Q: What are the next steps to obtaining my I-20 or DS-2019?
A: Once you have submitted your completed Financial Certificate Form and attached the necessary scanned copies, the ISSO will review and process them. If something is incomplete or difficult to understand, a member of the ISSO staff will send you an email asking for clarification.  Otherwise, the I-20 or DS-2019 will be issued within 10 business days and you will be notified via email.