PACKING- Carry the following items in HAND LUGGAGE
List below has items many students find helpful to bring to U.S. Some you MUST bring like your passport and I-20 or DS-2019, others are important like clothes and laptop. The rest, nice to have like photos and music. Note, you will travel thousands of miles using differnent modes of transportation and have to carry your luggage. Bring the essentials and you will have time to shop here for the rest!
If staying on campus and want to know what rooms look like and what they have please visit Housing and Residence Life. You are encouraged to personalize and accessorize your room to feel more like home and if have any questions ask your Resident Advsor (RA) there.
CARRY ATLEAST FIRST SEVERAL ITEMS ON LIST IN YOUR CARRY ON LUGGAGE!
- I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1)
- Passport - with current visa (Canadians exempt from visa)
- U.S. Dollars (about $500 cash and have some small bills for food and tips
- Credit cards and notify th bank to allow access abroad
- Address book with phone numbers and contact information (at home and in US)
- Copy of travel itinerary
- Airplane ticket
- Ink pen in blue or black (lots of documents to fill out at airport)
- Extra sweater, scarf or jacket (airplanes and airports can be cold)
- Non-perishable, non-liquid snacks - Finish before landing!
- Warm sweater for winter as well as T-shirt and shorts for summer
- Unlocked GSM Cell phone with contacts; extra charger, plugs, cords and adapters
- Back pack & dictionary/translator
- Small size toiletries (remember regulations limit size of liquids on plane)
- toothbrush & paste, shampoo, deodorant & soap
- towel & flip flops (to wear in shower)
- Immunization records - submitted to Student Health or packed (originals and in English)
- Health insurance - Health insurance waiver submitted, if appropriate
- Extra eyeglasses / contact lens (if needed)
- Medications and prescriptions (in English)
- Bed linens & if staying on campus, the sizes should be 80 inches (203.2 centimeters)
- Clothes - These items you may want to pack in your regular (stowed) luggage
- Pajamas, bathrobe, slippers & athletice shoes (sneakers)
- Causual wear i.e jeans or pants (U.S. has more laid back sytle)
- Formal attire i.e. Suit, Dress and dress shoes (presentaions, interviews)
- Traditional outfit (showcase your country & we have many cultural events)
You can print this list off, add or delete items and check off as you pack!