Change of Status

Under certain conditions, a person in a non-resident visa status (such as B2, E2, F1, F2, J1, J2, H1, H4) may apply to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) for a change of immigration status. 

The change of status application must be submitted prior to the expiration of the current valid status, as shown on the I-94 arrival/departure record or print out.  In the case of H-1B applying for F-1, USCIS MUST receive the change of status application BEFORE the current H-1B status expires.

​For more detailed information, view our Change of Status Handout

AFTER reviewing the Change of Status Handout and speaking with an ISSO advisor, you may submit an ISSO Connect application Changing immigration status to F-1 or J-1

  • You will not be able to login to ISSO Connect with your NinerNet Credentials.  Instead, you will need to create an external account using your email address.  Your NinerNet Credentials will work AFTER you obtain F-1 status.
  • You must upload financial documents (no older than 3 months) showing that you can afford out of state cost of attendance
  • You will request an electronic recommendation from your academic advisor. Your academic advisor will confirm your estimated graduation term.
  • Please allow 10 business days for I-20 issuance

Change of Status workshop dates found on our COS Workshop page.