On-Campus Employment vs. Off-Campus Employment

On Campus

International students in F-1 status enrolled in academic courses are allowed to work on-campus up to 20 hrs. per week during the academic year and full-time (40 hrs.per week) during vacations and holidays.  A social security number is required for payroll and tax withholding purposes.

  • Immigration authorization is not required.
  • Financial need is not necessary.
  • Application for employment is made with the hiring department.
  • I-9 employment eligibility and tax withholding forms must be filed with the Student Employment Office and the Tax Office in coordination with the ISSO.  Please follow this link to guide you through the process http://hr.uncc.edu/recruitment-and-hiring/foreign-national-employment.

ISSO I-9 Procedure 

The Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 is a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services From. It is used by an employer to verify an employee's identity and to establish that the worker is eligible to accept employment in the U.S. 
ISSO offers I-9 workshops to understand and assist with this process.

Required Documents: 

Off Campus

F-1 international students are only allowed to work on-campus (see on-campus employment), or off-campus in one of the categories listed below.