Maintaining Your Immigration Status
- Keep passport valid for six months beyond expiration date
- Maintain full-time academic student status, which is a minimum of 12 hours for undergraduates or 9 hours for graduates. Read more about enrollment clarifications and requirements.
- Obtain appropriate permission to work on or off campus
- Apply for program extension if more time is needed PRIOR to expiration of I-20 or DS-2019
- Keep local address up-to-date on 49er Express
- Follow procedures for transferring to another U.S. institution
- Complete Federal and State income tax forms for employment for the previous year
Please view our handout on Academic Dismissal Effects on Immigration Status for F-1 and J-1 Students for more on your rights and responsibilities.
Below is a list of forms available for download. Please complete the form requested and either email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it by our office. Processing time is normally 5 business days so please allow sufficient time to complete your request.
- Letter of Invitation
- Enrollment Verification
- Academic Advisor Certification Form
- OPT Advisor Recommendation
- Authorization for Reduced Course Load - We will begin to accept RCL froms for Spring 2018 on January 16th, 2018. The from can be submitted in person on via scan to email@example.com
- Request for Program Extension