Visa Types and Descriptions


Non-Immigrant Visa Categories


B-1(business visitor)/B-2(tourist visitor) and ESTA (visa waiver): tourists and business visitors (cannot be used for employment)

F-1 (OPT): recently graduated students 

J-1: visiting professors, researchers, and student interns 

H-1B: professional, specialty occupations

TN: professional occupations; citizens of Mexico & Canada only

O-1: extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.
(Contact: Tarek Elshayeb for O-1 information).

For questions about H-1B, TN and J-1 visas contact the International Scholar Advisor.

For questions about other visa categories contact Tarek Elshayeb.

For information on how to apply for a visa contact U.S. Department of State.

See our chart showing the duration, eligibility requirements, procedures and limitations of the above categories.