CONGRATULATIONS on your admission to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. We hope that you will take a few moments to explore some of the sites we have listed below to obtain more information regarding new International Undergraduate Students, new International Graduate Students and new Exchange Students.
Spring 2019 Orientation
Schedule of Events
Friday January 4th - Immigration Document Check-in
- Time: 9 am - 4 pm
- Location: College of Health and Human Services (CHHS 370)
- Expect document check-in to take 1 hour to complete. Please bring the following documents:
- I-94 (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/) (Can only accessed and printed after entering the U.S.)
Monday, January 7th - MANDATORY International Student Orientation
- Time: 8:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Location: Rowe 130 (Building # 19 on the campus map)
- Lunch will be provided. (No Registration Required)
Monday, January 7th - Graduate School Orientation
- Time: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Location: McKnight Hall, Cone University Center
- Required for all graduate students, registration required
Tuesday, January 8th - SOAR Orientation (Required for undergraduates, not for 'Exchange' students)
- Time: 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Location: Popp-Martin Student Union (Builiding #69 on the campus map)
- Registration Required
Students who missed the main orientation program on January 17th should plan to attend one of the make-up orientation sessions listed below.
Monday, January 14th
- Time: 4:00pm
- Location: CHHS 133
- No Registration Required
Checklist of Things to Prepare Prior to your Arrival at UNC Charlotte:
- Pay your SEVIS fee https://www.fmjfee.com/index.html and schedule a visa interview www.travel.state.gov
- Make housing arrangements either on-campus https://housing.uncc.edu or off-campus https://offcampushousing.uncc.edu
- Get your immunizations done. Bring a copy with you, in English if possible. https://studenthealth.uncc.edu/immunizations/immunizations-department
- Think about your required Health Insurance plan & either bring your own plan or purchase from UNC Charlotte. https://studenthealth.uncc.edu/insurance/insurance
- Plan for your finances and payment of tuition and fees. http://studentaccounts.uncc.edu
- Also, check out the Frequently Asked Questions link below for information on wire transfer.
- Prepare for academic advising and registration upon arrival at UNC Charlotte. Bring transcripts from your home institution if necessary.
- Consider purchasing a Meal plan http://aux.uncc.edu/meal-plans
- Make your travel arrangements to arrive to the U.S. NO earlier than 30 days from the start date on your I-20.
And, read our Resources section below to help you prepare and arrive on campus!
We look forward to meeting you!
Tarek Elshayeb, Director Denise Medeiros, Associate Director
Monte Green, International Student & Scholar Advisor Amy Mabery, International Student & Scholar Advisor
Kadija Alkusaimi, Administrative Assistant Chau Tran, SEVIS Coordinator
Maddy Baer, International Scholar Advisor
- Spring 2019 Orinetation Schedule - Will be posted soon.
- International Student Handbook
- Visa denial, visa delay and late arrival
- Enhancing Your English Language Proficiency
- Enhancing Your Academic Writing in English
- Overview of U.S. health care system
- Health Insurance
- Campus Map
- Payment Policy
- Uptown Trip Info
- Near by Hotels
- What to Pack
- Printable Academic Calendar
- PPT: ISSO Services, important immigration and employment information
- PPT: Adjusting to a U.S. classroom
- PPT: Exchange Student Meeting
- PPT: On-Campus Employment: Tips and Suggestions for International Students
- PPT: My UNC Charlotte Online Demo
- PPT: Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
- Video: Mental Health Awareness for International Students
- Video: Study Abroad - Culture Shock
- Video: Consent - It's as Simple as Tea
- Video: About ISSO at UNC Charlotte
- Video: ISSO Check-in Video - Maintaining Legal Status
- Video: Academic Integrity and Plagiarism Presentation