Covid-19 & Fall 2020 Enrollment Information
In light of Covid-19 and recent government guidance regarding Fall 2020 visa and immigration regulations, the ISSO has provided the following information to faculty and academic advisors to help international students maintain their legal status:
- Any credit-bearing course that has been classified by UNC Charlotte as hybrid (despite percentage of in-person component) will qualify as 'in-person' for immigration purposes. (Note: this is an official reversal of a "51% policy" that had been in place prior to July 8th, 2020).
- Hybrid courses are to be officially classified as such in Banner (not defined as hybrid only by instructors).
- Course classifications in Banner must not be changed throughout the duration of the semester.
- Instructors must fulfill the in-person component for any hybrid course.
- Academic Advisors should ensure that international students are registered for courses that help them make normal progress towards their degree.
- The ISSO cautions international students against taking independent study courses as "placeholders" to meet the in-person visa requirements, as this may cause future immigration complications.
Faculty and academic advisors interact on a regular basis with international students at UNC Charlotte and may at times be faced with variations of learning styles and sets of expectations based upon non-U.S. educational systems outside the U.S. The following page includes resources to help faculty and academic advisors.
In addition to adapting to a new way of learning, many international students also feel anxiety due to additional responsibilities such as abiding by immigration regulations, meeting very high financial obligations, living up to family expectations in their home countries, and learning to be successful in a new culture.
The ISSO offers a workshop each fall semester which covers some of these topics, and invites anyone who is interested in learning more to attend.
Maintenance of Status Overview
See our Maintenance of Academic and Immigration Status Handout for more on international student rights/responsibilities.
Questions and comments are welcome at email@example.com .